Skip to main content

Surprise! My Christmas Trip To New York

I used to always fantasize about far-flung places; picnicking beside the Eiffel Tower, climbing the Great Wall of China, hiking Machu Picchu, bathing in the Blue Lagoon under the Midnight Sun in Iceland, riding along Amsterdam's canals and seeing the floating flower market in spring. But when I had cancer, the most magical place in the world was home. I just wanted to go home, more than anything. Especially at Christmas. The thought of never seeing New York at Christmastime again sickened me. So I resolved that when I completed radiation at the end of Thanksgiving, I would get my strength up for a surprise trip to New York with my baby to visit my friends and family.

We flew in a few days before Christmas, and left on Christmas Eve. I had a great time catching up with old friends, seeing my mom and little brother, meeting my Aunt and Uncle for lunch. I especially loved surprising my best friend with a night in the East Village, hotel and everything! It had twin beds, and she called it the ''I Love Lucy'' room. It was adorable. I met up with my childhood best friend while we there, and we had drinks together for the first time ever as adults!

On the roof of our East Village hotel before setting out on our quest to find eggs benedict, December 23, 2017.


It was a wonderful experience, walking through the city, everything lit up and and wonderful. It was just as I remembered it.

We had drinks in cozy dive bars, a light meal at my old favorite, Pommes Frittes, strolled through The Met, raced around Penn Station trying to catch the next train. I forgot how much I missed subways and trains and the smell of the city. I know that sounds weird, totally weird, but it's true. The smell of fresh pizza, and bouquets of flowers, and coffee brewing, and taxi exhaust, all of it.

I guess it's true: You never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Whistling Tea Kettle, A Flat Iron And A Divorce

Here's a tip: Don't clean out your closet after drawing up your divorce papers. Just...don't. Worst idea of my life. That was on Monday, today is Wednesday. My husband just left to pay the attorney and sign the paperwork...they are filing the papers today. Our divorce should go through around July 31st, a few days after our 11th wedding anniversary. That was the trigger, that was what got me on Monday; looking at the calendar and seeing that. Celebrating our 1st anniversary in the Cotswolds, U.K., July 2008 ''Most people would write on their anniversary cards, 'Thanks for 11 years. I can't wait for 11 more!' while ours will say, 'Thanks for 11 years. We've had a good run. Good luck!' ''. He can be really funny when he wants to be. Anyway, back to Monday. My phone was missing, as I tuck it away somewhere so the baby doesn't get to it. It was my brand new phone, too. I dropped my other one in the Etowah River a c...

Professor Twatface And The Farmhouse

''There's nothing wrong with me getting a little drunk and looking on Match.Com just to see who's out there. I wasn't going to actually pursue anyone anyway, I am just curious for the the future . Besides, there aren't many attractive women around here, it is slim-pickings. You'll probably end up with someone great, like Professor Twatface. He will have some amazing vocabulary, and wear a cardigan with patches on the elbows, and Birkenstocks, and carry a satchel. I bet he'll even drive a Prius. You can wear your Birkenstocks together and sit around analyzing books .'' I have to hand it to my husband, he is brutally honest. While he calls my fictious future boyfriend Professor Twatface, I call his fictious future girlfriend Sally. Ironically enough, I, too, carry a sachel and have always wanted a cardigan with patches on the elbow, but I didn't remind him of that. ''I want it in our paperwork that ''Mommy's friend...

Happy Birthday!

Friends, can you believe that Wigs and Things is one year old ? Thank you everyone for your support, for reading my jumble of words, for encouraging me and making me feel like I am not alone on this bizarre journey. You are invaluable to me, and I will be forever grateful for the love and kindness you have shown me. For anyone who has ever responded to my blog by saying, '' You put into words exactly what I was feeling, but could never figure out how to s ay.'' '' If you are ever in ______, let me know because I want us to meet!'' '' This is how I have felt so many times, too.'' ...and lots of other kind things, thank you. For your companionship. For making me feel like I am not crazy. For helping me through the most challenging, gut-wrenching, isolating time of my life. On the hard days, it means more than I could ever say. As a thank you, I have made a lovely lemon and hibiscus sugar scrub. It's made with...